Main Page | Robinson Main Page | Surry Co VA | Henrico Co VA | Brunswick Co VA | Maps
|Albemarle Co NC
Albemarle Co NC was an original county formed in 1664. In 1668 Albemarle County was divided into Chowan, Currituck, Pasquotank and Perquimans. Albemarle ceased being recognized as a unit of government in 1689.
1679: Jane Robison, the wf of Cotton Robinson proved nine rights in the Precinct Court of Shaftsbury this first day of Jan 1679 viz: Jno Battle Sr, Philip Battle, Saml Newtook, John Micke, Margarett Harwell, Jane Robison, Cotton Robison. Pg 32 Albemarle Co Land Warrants and Surveys.
1685: Cotton Robinson listed on Rent Rolls Chowan Prec.
1693: John Jennings survey for 1100A. Given under our hand 9 Mar 1693 Phillip Ludwell, Thos Harvey, Francis Toms, Geng Lakeer, Danl Akehurst. Persons viz Thomas Robinson, negroes Betty, Dick, Jack, Wm Jennings and wf Martha, John Jennings, Ralph Garnet, Margaret Garnet, Nat Nichols, Wm Garnet, Thos Relfe, Thos Relfe Jr, Wm Gardner, John Jennings, Wm Relfe.
1693: Nicholas Robison, Thos Kent, Ann his wf, Sarah Kent, Rebecca Kent, Anne Kent Jr, John Tho___, ____ Browne, Wm Brickstone, Thos Leeper transported into County by Thomas Leeper 7 Feb 1693/4 Pg 7 Albemarle Co Land Warrants and Surveys.
1693: John Robison, John Culpepper, Valentine Byrd, ___ah Byrde, Anne Farmer, Patrick Henley, Mary Henley his wife, Sarah Henley wife of Patrick Henley, Margret Byrde transported by Patrick Henley into Pascotank Dist. 8 Feb 1693 Albemarle Co Land Warrants and Surveys.
1693: John Robison, Eliz his wf, Job Robison, John Robinson Jr, Eliz Robison, Wm Stange, Rbt West, Saml Blake, John Lumbrosier transported by Thos Pollock 17 Mar 1693 Pg 17 Albemarle Co Land Warrants and Surveys.
1694: Eliz Dunston has proved 12 rights who names are Peleg Dunston, Mathew Scot, Sara Scot, Eliz Scot, Eliz Dunston, Aaron Loverige, Nathaniel Edgcome, Wm Hickman, Ellinor Hobbet, Thos Anderson, Eliz Deane, John Deane. Certified the 20th of Apr 1694. Pg 57 Albemarle Co Land Warrants and Surveys.
NOTE: Eliz Dunston received 600A on Catherine Crk for this transportation. She assigned this to Alex McFarlin on 19 Apr 1695.
1694: Geo Fleming will dtd 27 May 1694 lists friends Thos Elliott, James Robinson. Exec is Simon Rice. Wit: Wm Bray, Isaac Gilford, Eliz Jones, John Philpott.
1694: Chowan Precinct. These may certify at a Court holden for ye Precinct of Chowan the first Monday in April 1694 at the house of Cpt Henderson Walker. Present: Thos Blount, Esqr, President, John Porter Jr, Thos Luten, James Long and Cotton Robinson, Justices. Pg 27 Albemarle Co Land Warrants and Surveys.
1694: Margery White has proved eleven rights who names are upon record and hereunder written, Rich Williams, Margery his wife, Sarah, Anne, Nicholas Wise, James Gad, Rich Robison, Alexander Murrey, Ralph Whiting, Wm Warde, Wm White, certifyed ye 15th of March 1693. Reg and wart given ye 27 of March 1693 (3 and 4 written over). Wm Glover.
|Chowan Co NC
|Formed 1670 as a precinct in Albemarle Co NC.
1696 Aug 8: Cotton Robinson, Thomas Luten witness will of David Bayer.
1697: Cotton Robinson LG 500A on Old Town Crk (also known as Catherine Crk). Bk 1 Pg 78 15 May 1697 Chowan Co NC. See map for location.
1697: Cotton Robinson LG 300A on Matticomack Crk [Queen Anne Crk] ES of Chowan Riv. Bk 1 Pg 77 17 Apr 1697.
1697: Inventory of Wm Riggs taken by Cotten (X) Robertson, John (X) Jones and John (X) Watl as ordered by the General Ct 4 October 1697. Taken 4 and 5 Nov 1697. Chowan Co NC.
1699: James Robinson will 12 Mar 1699-1700. All lands and other property to Cornelius Jones, Executor. Wit: Thomas Miller, William Woolard, John Powell. No probate.
NOTE: Cornelius Jones 300A on NE side of Pasquotank Riv joining a small creek and James Robison. S/John Archdale, Danl Akehurst, Francis Tomes, Tho Pollock, Saml Swann, Henderson Walker. 25 Feb 1696 Pg 65 Land Patents from Prov of NC.
1703: Jonathan Robinson from Isle of Wright Co VA rec's patent.
NOTE: This land sold to John Thomas in 1726. Land was then located in Bertie Co NC.
1706: John Wheatley will dtd Dec 1706 leaves to daughters Elizabeth and Martha a plantation given to him by Cotton Robinson, dec'd.
1. 14 Sep 1670 patent IOW Co VA for John Wheatly.
1. 21 Feb 1670 IOW Co VA John Wheatly will names sons John, Thomas, William, dau Eliz, son-in-law John Williams, wife Ann. Witnesses were William (W) Robson and John Burnell. Rec 9 Feb 1671/2 IOW Co VA Will and DB 2 Pg 105.
1712: John Jordan LG 604A on Indian Town Swamp adj Richard Sowell and Cotton Robinson. Bk VIII Pg 304 9 Dec 1712.
1713: Thomas Robertson through Atty Edward Moseley ask court to make Stephen Scott continue his apprenticeship (indenture) to learn the trade of carpenter and house joiner. 8 May 1713 NC Colonial records.
1714: John Robinson LG 220A on SS Rockyhock Crk. Bk 1 Pg 241 30 Aug 1714.
1714: John Robinson LG 530A adj Daniel Halsey, Richard Skinner, Wm Woodley, Henry Lyles. Bk 1 Pg 241 30 Aug 1714.
1714: Thomas Muns 100A LG SW side Racoack Crk adj John Robinson, Martin Charles. Bk 1 Pg 240 30 Aug 1714.
1715: John Robertson of Chowan, planter, to Richard Taylor for L5 50A in Rockyhock Neck between branches of Rockahock Crk, commonly call Rich Neck. Wit: Caleb (X) Stephens, Rt Hicks. 20 Jun 1715 DB B Pg 210.
1715 Oct 15 Court:
1. Jonathan Robertson came to prosecute his suit against Wm Yates.
2. John Robertson ack a sale to John Gordon and to Rd Taylor.
1715: John Robertson of Chowan to John Gordon for L20 265A adj Richard Skinner, Daniel Halsey, Wm Woodley, Henderson Luten part of a larger tract the patent for which bearing the date 30 Aug 1715. Wit: David (D) Ambross, John Nairne. DB B Pg 198 18 Oct 1715.
1715: John Robertson of Chowan to John Gordon an assignment of 265A out of a patent containing 530A adj Richard Skinner. Wit: David Ambross, John Nairne. DB B Pg 199 18 Oct 1715.
1716: John (X) Robertson, David Atkins, John Turner wit deed bet James Blount and Katharine his wf to Samuel Woodward for 200A on SS of Chowan Riv adj Wm Maule in the Riv Pocosin and Blounts Spring Br. DB B Pg 308 30 Jul 1716.
NOTE: James Blount was the son of John Blount and Eliz Davis. Eliz Davis was the dau of John Davis and Mary Burton of Henrico Co VA. James Blount's brother John Blount married Sarah Vail. Another brother named Thomas Blount married Eliz Whitmel and James sister Eliz married Samuel Padgett.
1717: John Robinson will dtd 2 Oct 1717 names children Margaret, George, Elizabeth. Probate 22 Aug 1720.
1717/8: Lord Proprietors to Ralph Bozeman 9 Mar 1717/8 for the importation of 1 person 640A adj Cpt Thos Bray, Isaac Wilson, John Robinson, Daniel Halsey, John Watson. DB C Pg 691 27 Oct 1732.
1718: James Robertson, Eliz Swann, Edw Moseley wit will of John Browne dtd 28 Nov 1718.
1718: Thomas Bray to Samuel Woodward. Assignment Patent for 613A adj John Robertson. 8 Sep 1718. Test: Samuel Bozman, Francis McLenden.
1719: Chowan Ct ordered that John Robertson be overseer of the highway in the room of James Halsey.
1719: Thos Bray to Saml Woodward assignment of a patent for 617A adj John Robertson the sd patent dtd 8 Oct 1717. Wit: Saml (X) Bozeman, Francis McClenden. DB B Pg 708 22 Jul 1719.
1719: Rbt Hicks of Chowan to John Robertson L50 80A. Wit: Edw Howcott. DB C Pg1 2 Mar 1719.
1720: John (E) Robertson, R Hicks wit deed bet Alexander Comerile on Rockohock Br formerley held by Robert Hicks and John Watson. DB F Pg 82 30 Aug 1720.
1720: Edw Howcott to Francis Branch L42 170A being the land I bought of John Robertson "which Land he surveyed and pattented in his name and assigned it over to the said Edward Howcott lying in Rockohock Neck". Wit: Const Luton, Charles (X) Jones. DB F Pg 96 7 Dec 1720.
NOTE: Francis Branch was the brother of Wm Branch.
1722: Ralph Ballard patented 528A on the ES of Chowan River "twixt the river and Hell's pocoson" adj Jonathan Robinson.
1722: William Hunter LG 335A ES Chowan Riv on the head of the Hell Pocoson... in Cabin Branch Jonathan Robinsons corner... John Porters corner... John Winbourns line... James Spears line... in Hell Pocoson. Dtd 5 Apr 1722 LG Office Bk 3 Pg 98.
1. Mary Barnes to Alex Carter 160A tract of land granted Richard Barnes. Wit: John Langston, Ephriam Hunter, Wm Hunter. 17 Apr 1733 Chowan Co NC.
2. Sarah Hunter, dau of William Hunter married William Battle son of John & Elizabeth Battle.
3. Green Emerly [Emory] of Albermarle Par to Thomas Cocke of Southwarke Par for L16 80A in Southwarke Par on the head of Blands Swamp and bounded by Eastern Spring Branch, said Emerly, Jeremiah Ellis, the Wolfpit Branch and Ezeles [Ezell] (being a parcel of land granted to John Battle on 31 Aug 1691 and from him it descended to Faith Robertson, the wife of Christopher Robertson and they conveyed it by deed to the said Emerly on 18 Oct 1737). Sarah Emerly, wife of Green Emerly rel dower rights. Wit: Charles Binns, Wm Edwards. S/Green Emerly. Rec Surry Co VA Deed Bk 9 Pg 377 21 Oct 1741.
4. John Battle's will in 1728 in Surry Co VA listed a dau named Faith.
1724: Wm Arkill and wf Margaret to Elizabeth Robertson, Deed of Gift for lot in new plan of town of Edenton. 18 Feb 1724. Test: Rbt Hicks, Francis Branch.
1727: Humphrey Robinson, James Bush, Wm Williams wit will of Nicholas Crisp 22 Mar 1727. Exec are Edw Moseley, Jeremiah Vail.
1727: Edward Pagett [Padgett] will lists wife Margaret, 130A adj Halsey, 350A on Bear Swamp. Ex is wife and brother Samuel Paget. Wit: John Paget, John (X) Robinson, Wm (X) Ashley. 28 Feb 1727 Chowan Co NC.
1. Edward Padgett married Margaret Tyner dau of Nicholas Tyner d: c1708 in IOW Co VA. Margaret Tyner's sister Eleanor Tyner married Wm Ashley. Nicholas Tyner's will says "I give unto my daughter Margaret two Cowes & Calves & ye plantation where shee now lives in Rockahock, [Rockyhock] being ye remainder of part of ye Land before given to her & her heirs."
2. Bear Swamp is between Merry Hill and Windsor NC.
1733: Henry Baker to Wm Skinner of Nansemond Co VA 367A on Cypress Swamp near the Banks of Italy. Test: James Trotter, J. Robinson. 22 Mar 1733.
1. Banks of Italy is in Gates Co NC.
2. William Horne and wife Margaret of Bertie to Samuel Smith of Nansemond Co VA 100A patented by sd Horne called the "Banks of Italy" adj John Denby, Richard Green. Test: Michael Coulding, Will Smith, Robert Reddick. 22 Mar 1736.
1734: Wm Powell and Mary his wife to Robert Robinson 240A on Rockyhock Branch. Test: Geo Allen, T. Holladay. 18 Apr 1734.
1734: Wm Powell to John Robeson 100A part of a Patent granted Alexander Camrill 9 Mar 1717 bought by Richard Slavin and given sd Powell. Test: Wm Perry, Constance Luten, Will Tiner [Tyner]. 8 Oct 1734.
1739: Know all men by these present that we William Lane, Thomas Lane & John Robinson Jr are holden and joinly do stand bound unto Thomas Luten, Sheriff of Chowan County in the penal Sum of Eighty (L80)... We bind us... dated 10 Oct 1739... William Lane shall make his appearance before next court held for Chowan County at the Court House at Edenton on the 3rd Thursday in October... answer to the Suite of Thomas Hoskins in a plea of trespass on the case damage L40 and stand abid the Judgment of the said Court... . William (+) Lane, Thomas (+) Lane, John (X) Robinson Jr. Jul Ct 1739 Chowan Co NC Miscellaneous Papers 1685-1744, Bk I Pg 284-85.
1747: Humphrey Robinson, Saml Robinson, Alex Forbes wit will of John Hull in Edenton 14 Jan 1747. Exec are Miles Gale, James Craven.
1749: Samuel Robinson of Chowan Co LG from Lord Granville 115A on the head of Hitchocomack Crk adj Thos Bonner, Henry Bonner. S/Samuel Robinson. Wit: Wm Churton, John Astie. Pat Bk 14 Pg 53 25 Mar 1749.
1752: Humphry Robinson will dtd 15 Jul 1752 names legatees Eliz and Susannah Cleland, John Cleland, John Cooper. Exec: John Cleland, John Wilkins.
1. Humphrey Robinson married Eliz Branch dau of Wm Branch and Margaret Wheatley. Margaret married 2d Wm Arkill.
2. Humphrey Robinson had two children: Eliz and Francis.
3. Eliz Branch's brother, Wm Branch Jr, married Eliz, dau of John Howcutt and his wife Mary Standin, dau of Edw Standin and Mary Wiatt.
4. 1704 deed from John Dennis and wf Mary to Wm Branch 50A at head of Mattacomack Crk [Queen Anne Crk].
5. 1707 deed from Jememiah Exum and Anne his wf to Francis Branch 137a at the mouth of Mattacomack Crk adj Nicholas Crisp.
6. John Wilkins was the son of Charles Wilkins. Charles Wilkins 1733 will say he is the brother-in-law of Nicholas Crisp.
1755: Will of Thomas Robinson. Wife not named in will. Son William is named. Other children not named. S/Thomas Robinson. Exec: John Halsey, John Vail. Wit: Saml Benbury, Hannah (X) Clay, Sarah (X) Arington. Chowan Co NC Ct April 1755.
1. Will of Robert Hicks of Sandy Point Chowan Precinct. 25 Nov 1733; Jan Court 1734. Names son Thomas, son-in-law Daniel Halsey, wife Esther Hicks. A footnote says Robert Hicks married Esther Luten, dau of Thomas.
2. Samuel Benbury will Chowan Co NC dtd 23 Oct 1766 proved Apr Ct 1768. My father, my wife, my brothers and sisters, Thomas Benbury and Timonthy Walton Exrs. Test: Charles Benbury, Ruth Benbury, John Benbury.
3. John Benbury will Chowan Co NC dtd 10 Mar 1773 lists wife, sons John, Wm, Thomas, Charles. Daus Mary Walton and granddau Mary Walton. Ex: Charles and John Benbury. Test: Thomas White, Job Leary, Charles Benbury. As my son John is now dead, his part I give to my son Wm, Thomas Hunter and Charles Haughton also Exrs. 14 Feb 1774. Test: Charles Haughton, John Robinson, Charles Benbury.
1756: Will of John Robinson. Will states it "is my will and desire that my wife Elizabeth Robinson shall have all that part of the estate that did belong to her before I married her" then names son John and grandsons John and William Robinson. Ex: William Halsey. Wit: John Lewis, John Lewis Jr and Wm Lewis. S/John (X) Robinson. 25 Oct 1756 Chowan Co NC.
1. His wife may have been Eliz Jones.
2. John Robinson married 8 Jan 1754 Elizabeth Jones (Widow).
3. John Robertson Sr of Chowan Co to John Robertson Jr Deed of Gift (Chattels). List of items and "sundry house hold goods being the goods the sd John was invested with a title too by virtue of his marriage to the Eliz Jones given by Thos Jones, dec'd". Wit: John Freeman, Wm Tynor. 22 Apr 1757 Rec Apr Ct 1757 DB H Pg 411 Bertie Co NC.
4. Joshua Stevans to William Tyner 190A on NS Chinkapin Swamp adj Richard Homes. Wit: John Freemann, John Davison Sr. Bk G Pg 218 10 Mar 1748 Rec Nov Ct 1749 Bertie Co NC.
|Bertie Co NC
|Formed 1722 from Chowan Co NC.
1726: Wm Robinson and wf Mary rec deed from Edmond Smithwick for 100A "for love and affection unto Wm Robinson and wf Mary during their lives... then to Wm Robinson Jr... my godson... that plantation where the Robinson's now live on SS Morrattuck Riv [today Roanoke] and Devil's Gut Swamp". Wit: John Marden, John Duggan. 25 Apr 1726 Rec May Ct 1729 DB C Pg 111.
1. Wm Robinson married Mary Smithwick.
2. Devil's Gut Swamp is in Martin Co NC.
1733: James Macklemore will dtd 13 Feb 1733 Bertie Co NC wit by John Doyle, Abraham Macklemore, Thomas (T) Roberson.
NOTE: Edward (X) Robertson, Nicholas Killingsworth wit deed bet John Doyle of Edgecombe to Richard Smith of Edgecombe 200A on ES Pretty Crk. 14 Aug 1747 DB 3 Pg 134 Edgecombe Co NC.
1734: Duke Robinson rec's deed from Wm Wilson of Cashia 50A on Cashy Swamp. Wit: John Swenny, John Grant. DB D Pg 62 13 Apr 1735.
NOTE: William Wilson to Lazarus Summeral for L10 50A. Part of a patent granted to William Wilson and includes plantation where Thos Bass now lives on the SS of Cashie Swamp adj. Thos Bass, Marmaduke Roberson. Wit: Thomas Whitmill, Elizbeth Whitmill, Martha Whitmill. DB H Pg 8 Reg Nov Ct 1753 Bertie Co NC.
NOTE: Several miles upstream from Windsor NC the Cashie River divides to the left and it is here where it branches off and continues as The Cashie Swamp that originates near the Northampton Co Line.
1742: Christopher Robertson rec'd deed from Henry Maynor for 175A adj John Hodgson, Isaac Lewis, Rbt Millikin. Wit: Geo Wynns, Benj Wynns. DB F Pg 342 8 May 1742.
1. Christopher Robertson of Bartee [Bertie] Co NC to Thomas Moss of Nottoway Parish in IOW... 190A on SS Nottoway Riv and SS Spring Swamp adj Thomas Phillips (being a patent dtd 30 Mar 1743). Wit: Christopher Foster, Christopher (X) Foster Jr and John Watkins. S/Christopher (X) Robertson. 3 Mar 1743. Rec 26 Mar 1744 IOW DB 6 Pg 357.
2. Christopher Robertson and William Watkins listed adj Thomas Newsom LG for 200A NS Three Creeks. Land Office Patents No. 19, 1739-1741, p. 789 (Reel 17) 16 Sep 1740 IOW Co VA.
3. William Watkins to John Harper... 150A on NS Three Creeks adj Thomas Phillips, Christopher Robertson, Thomas Newsum, Stephen Vaughan and Reedy Branch. Wit: Thomas Gould, Christopher (X) Foster, Thomas (X) Moss. IOW DB 7 Pg 505 26 Sep 1747.
1743: Jonathan Robinson, Thomas Dixon wit deed bet John Rasberry to James Roades [Rhodes] of Edgecombe Co NC for 150A on White Oak Swamp adj Tarkiln, Wm Rutter. DB F Pg 464 5 May 1743.
NOTE: White Oak Swamp is tributary of the Cashie River close to Windsor NC.
1743: Jonathan Robinson, Thomas Dixon wit deed bet James Roades [Rhodes] of Edgecombe Co NC to Samuel Onwin for 150A adj Wm Rutter at fork of White Oak Swamp. DB F Pg 547 5 May 1743.
1744: Nov Ct: Nicholas Perry constable in place of John Robinson.
1749: William (X) Robertson LG 600A adj Wm Rutland, Wm Horn, Michael Horn, Wm Carter, John Wilkes, John Rutland. CB Jonathan Robertson. Edgecombe LG PG 310 22 Jun 1749.
1749: William Roberson of Edgecombe Co to Wm Horn 200A adj Charles Horn, John Wilkes being part of a tract granted 23 Jun 1749. Wit: Charles Horne, Barnaby Bryan. DB H Pg 262 17 Feb 1754.
1753: Marmaduke Roberson of Tryrell to Lazarus Sumerell 50A on WS Cashie Swamp being part of a patent formerly granted to Wm Wilson adj Lazarus Sumerell bought of Wm Wilson. Wit: Thomas Rhodes, Joseph ?Jolly, Ann ?Anborn. 22 Oct 1753 DB H Pg 7.
1753: Wm Wilson to Lazarus Sumerrell 50A part of a patent granted Wm Wilson and includes plantation whereon Thomas Bass now lives... on Cashie Swamp adj Thomas Bass, Marmaduke Roberson. Wit: Thomas Whitmell, Eliz Whitmell, Martha Whitmell. 19 Sep 1753 DB H Pg 8.
1754: Thomas Lane will dtd 30 Mar 1754 names dau Ann Robeson, Eliz Lane, Sarah Berry, son Wm and Jane Jones. Ex: John Robinson, Ann Robinson, Eliz Lane. Wit: Joseph Butterton, Wm Persey, Saml O'steen. Bertie Co NC.
1754: William Roberson of Northampton Co to Willis Collins 200A being part in Northampton and part in Bertie Co on Sandy Run adj ____ham, John Rutland, Wm Rutland. Part of a tract granted William Roberson by deed of grant 22 Jun 1749. Wit: Charles Horne, Wm Horne. DB H Pg 168 20 Oct 1754 Rec Apr Ct 1755.
NOTE: Sandy Run is in Bertie Co NC where Northampton and Bertie Co's meet on the Roanoke Riv and just east of Scotland Neck.
1756: William Robinson, Arthur Bell, Wm Davis wit deed bet Thomas Williams to Marmaduke Norfleet of Perquimans Co 385A on NS Roanoke Riv. DB H Pg 290 10 Feb 1756 Rec Apr Ct 1756.
1756: William Robison of Northampton Co to Marmaduke Norfleet of Perquimans Co 200A on NS Roanoke Riv adj Charles Horne, Wm Carter. Part of a 640A grant 22 Jun 1749. Wit: Thomas Williams, Geo Harrell, Jonathan Roberson. DB H Pg 291 24 Apr 1756 Rec Apr Ct 1756.